Tuesday 18 February 2014

Truffle Butter

I know, I know butter isn't 'primal' but I'm introducing myself gently. Baby steps! Also after reading the go-to bible on study based dietary choices - Nourishing Traditions - I'm sold on the idea of butter being one of the 'good' fats. Although I haven't yet managed to acquire any raw milk to make my own raw butter, I always get the best I can find in the local health food shop. On this visit it was Yeo Valley organic unsalted butter.
With regards to the truffle, I'm not entirely sure of the species as it was a very generous leaving gift from the head chef of a restaurant I recently departed. From the research I've done along with the current season, it would appear to be a black winter truffle (makes sense) and it's definitely from Italy.
I noticed it had started to 'give' a little when squeezed so worried it was going past it's best. Nothing stores and preserves fresh ingredients like fat, so I set about making truffle butter.

You will need:
1 pack of softened butter
1 ripe black truffle
Salt to taste
Fine grater
Mini blender or mini blender attachment for a stick blender


1. Grate the truffle with the fine grater and keep to one side on a non absorbent surface. Originally I had it on a wooden chopping board. Needless to say any fruit chopped on there over the next few weeks will be truffle scented. Fine if you enjoy your bananas like that. I don't.

2. Cut the butter into cubes and place into the mini blender with half the truffle. Whizz it up and add the salt to taste. Take out the blades and mix through the rest of the grated truffle gently as to not break up the pieces too much.


3. Scoop it all out onto greaseproof paper and mould into the desired shape. The best way to store it long term is to freeze it. Roll the butter into a log and twist the paper at both ends then seal in cling film or a freezer bag. Whenever you fancy a bit of decadence, slice off a chunk of the butter to melt into pasta or onto a seared steak. It should keep around 6 months frozen.



I used truffle salt too which added to the intensity of the truffle flavour. It was from Eataly in Genoa, Italy. They have branches all over Italy, in the USA and even in Japan but sadly none in the UK. So if you see this salt anywhere, snap it up. The tiny freeze-dried white truffle flecks add a surprisingly strong aroma which is delicious on poached eggs.





No comments:

Post a Comment