Wednesday 10 October 2012

Day 6: Tabbouleh



My date got cancelled and I'd eaten hardly anything all day in my plight to stave off the enormous bloated belly I get from eating anything, ever so I was craving carbs in a big way. Thank goodness for tabbouleh with the perfect combination of heavy, filling bulgur wheat and fresh flavoursome herbs with a big lemony zing. Needless to say, after a plateful of this, my stomach is back to its rounded former glory. Luckily no-one's here to see it.

Today's Recipe: Tabbouleh
Serves 2

0.25 cup bulgur wheat
30g flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely
15g mint leaves, chopped finely
6 cherry tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped finely
0.5 red onion, diced finely
0.5 lemon
3 tbsp olive oil

1. Cook the bulgur wheat according to packet instructions. Usually this is 1 part bulgur wheat to 5 parts water, boil with the lid on for 15 minutes or until water has been soaked up then stand for 10 minutes. Separate the grains with a fork and leave to cool.
2. In a large bowl combine the parsley, mint, tomato and red onion then add the juice of the half lemon and combine.
3. Add the cooled bulgar and olive oil, along with seasoning to taste and mix well.

It can be served with humous, baba ganoush or flat breads on the side but I find it perfectly substantial and very filling alone. Lovely fresh tasting comfort food.





No comments:

Post a Comment