Wednesday 3 October 2012

Day 1: Beetroot, Feta and Spinach Salad



After a summer of wallowing in gluttony I've become increasingly aware of the spare inches I've accumulated around my waist, the sluggish feeling inside my body and how weak my immune system has become.
So, today is the start of a new me an' all that...
Let's see how it goes, this new life of salad making, salad tasting, recipe collecting and hopefully a bit of recipe inventing too.

Today's recipe - Beetroot, Feta and Spinach Salad
Serves 4-6

3 cooked beetroot washed and cubed
1 block authentic Greek Feta cheese
150g spinach sliced finely
10 cherry tomatoes (I used Piccolo variety) cubed
3 spring onions sliced
1 large carrot grated
10g coriander chopped finely
1 bag Food Doctor 'Easy Cereals, Pulses and Grains
1 lemon wedge
4 tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil

1. Add the beetroot, spinach, tomato, onion, carrot, coriander and pulses to a bowl and mix thoroughly. The carrot and onion will take on a slight pink hue from the beetroot.
2. Squeeze the juice from the lemon wedge and mix through the salad with the olive oil.
3. Crumble the feta in and mix lightly so as not to break it up too much and retain the nice salty chunks.
4. Season to taste.

It makes a beautifully colourful salad which I served with a big dollop of low fat humous. Try to serve it in moderation as the pulses make it very filling indeed.





No comments:

Post a Comment